Preventing the Spread
Preventing the Spread of Disease in the Community Isolation and Quarantine
Isolation is used to separate and restrict movement of sick people with a communicable disease from those who are not sick
Quarantine is used to separate and restrict movement of healthy persons who may have been exposed to a communicable disease or other agent to see if they become sick Isolation and quarantine are used to protect the public by preventing exposure to infected persons or to person who may be infected. In most cases, isolation and quarantine are enforced voluntarily, though the health department has the authority to compel compliance.
What is Social Distancing? Social distancing is a term that describes public health actions taken to stop or slow the spread of disease. Social distancing measures are taken to restrict when and where people can gather and includes action like limiting large groups of people from coming together.
What Can I Do to Be Prepared?
Be prepared! Make sure you have a preparedness plan, and preparedness kits for you and your family. Your preparedness kit should include:
- Prescription Medication. Talk to your pharmacist and doctor to find out how to receive extra prescriptions
- Over-the-county medication. Including pain relievers, cough and cold medicine, and others
- Cleaning and hygiene products, including hand sanitizer, sanitary wipes, and feminine hygiene products
- Copies of health records
- Contact information for your healthcare provider(s)
What Can I Do to Prevent Getting Sick?
The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus . . .
- Practice hand hygiene
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose & mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact to people who are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw in the trash
- Stay home when sick and experiencing fever or other symptoms of illness
- Clean surfaces with a disinfectant, especially if those surfaces have been touched by someone who is sick
More information is available from the CDC - HERE>>> PREVENT THE SPREAD OF COVID-19 IF YOUA RE SICK