Filing a Protest
To protest your taxes, please follow these instructions:
- If you have not had a meeting with the County Appraiser on the valuation of your property for the same tax year, you can file a protest. Protest forms are available from the County Treasurer or you can print the Protest Form (PDF).
- Call 785-238-6021 to request the protest forms or print the protest form. Please read and follow the instructions carefully for a successful appeal.
- Note: If the protest form is received in the Treasurer's Office unsigned the protest will be considered invalid and will be returned to you. The delay may jeopardize your chances for a hearing.
- Complete the tax protest form and file a copy with the County Treasurer's Office after November 1st and on or before December 20th with your payment. (If at least one-half (1/2) of the taxes are paid by an escrow agent, a protest of the taxes must be filed no later than the following January 31.) If taxes are paid after these deadlines, any protest of the taxes must be filed at the time the taxes are paid.
- The protest form can be submitted through fax: 785-238-7631.
- You must keep a copy of the protest form. You will need to use this form to file the protest with the Board of Tax Appeals if you are not satisfied with the County's decision.
- The County Appraiser will contact you to schedule an informal meeting after the County Treasurer forwards your protest form to the Appraiser. If you are filing a protest on the basis of an illegal tax levy, an appendix must be completed and attached to the protest form. Those protest forms will be mailed by the Treasurer to the State Board of Tax Appeals. No informal hearing will be held with the Appraiser in the case of illegal tax levy protests.
- If you are successful in your appeal and your paid taxes are reduced, a refund will be issued upon the Treasurer receiving a correction from the County Appraiser's Office. If there is still a second half balance due, that amount will be reduced and no refund will be made.
If you would like a protest form to be mailed to you, please indicate on your payment stub and a form will be sent to you.
Change of Address
Fill out theif you would like tax statements and paid tax receipts sent to a new mailing address.
Questions concerning the ASSESSMENT of property? Call the Appraiser's office @ 785-238-4407.