What can I do if I believe the value of my home is too high?

Challenge Home Value

There are two ways to challenge the value of your home:

  • You may appeal the “Notice of Value” of your home by contacting the County Appraiser’s Office by phone or in writing within 30 days after receiving your “Notice of Value”.
  • You may fill out a “payment under protest” form with the County Treasurer at the time you pay your taxes. If an escrow or tax service agent pays your property taxes, then protest no later than January 31st.

You cannot appeal using both methods for the same property in the same tax year. So, if you start to appeal your “Notice of Value,” be sure that you follow through with the appeal. You will not be allowed to “pay under protest” later. K.S.A 79-2005.

Unsatisfied with Your Results

If you are not satisfied with the results of your appeal at the county level, the next step in the appeals process is to take your case to the Kansas Court of Tax Appeals. For more information on appeals, please contact your local County Appraiser’s Office.

Show All Answers

1. Why is property taxed in Kansas?
2. What does my County Appraiser do?
3. How does the county’s appraisal affect my taxes?
4. Will the value of my property change every year?
5. At what value is my home appraised for property tax purposes?
6. How does the County Appraiser determine market value?
7. Does the County Appraiser visit my property?
8. If I bought my house last year, shouldn’t the value be the same as what I paid for it a year ago?
9. When will I be notified of the value of my property?
10. What can I do if I believe the value of my home is too high?
11. What is the mill levy?
12. How do I calculate the property taxes on my home?
13. When are property tax bills sent an when should they be paid?
14. Do I qualify for a homestead property tax refund?
15. Can I have someone else protest my value for me?
16. Where can I find the current Tax Levies for my area?
17. Why is the County Appraiser's Office asking me for my income and expense information and am I required to give it to them?
18. How do I find my Assessment rate for my property?